Even if you have traveled in Italy a dozen times and even if you’ve been to Sicily, this exclusive, private, expert-led excursion may likely be more enlightening and educational of any of your previous visits––this is it, the ultimate, in-depth expedition in Sicily and the Aeolians.
Academy Travel's tour “Sicily and the Aeolian Islands” with a renowned forensic archaeologist caters to experienced travelers and to history buffs who love nothing more than pondering over old bones and clambering over thousand-year-old ruins. In business for more than a decade, the company is famous for small group, culturally-oriented, impeccably executed tours led by top-notch experts.
From one end of Sicily to the other, highlights of the tour are the major Greek sites of Syracuse and Agrigento; the Arab, Carthaginian and Norman worlds––Roman villas, Saracen palaces, Byzantine mosaics, Norman cathedrals and Baroque architecture
Dreams of the Ancient World in Sicily
Departing October 12, 2014, the 17-day, power-packed Sicily and the Aeolian Islands tour includes:
- Some of the largest and best-preserved ruins of the ancient world - Syracuse, Agrigento, Segesta and Selinunte
- Spectacular Baroque' architecture at Syracuse, Noto and Ragusa
- Carthaginian site on the island of Mozia
- Medieval Arabo-Norman architecture in and around Palermo, including the mosaics of the Palatine Chapel, Monreale and Cefalu
- 3 days on the Aeolian Islands exploring the bronze age archaeology of Lipari and the sea volcano of Stromboli
- 4 nights days in Taormina, with an ascent of Mount Etna
- Archaeological and art museums in Syracuse, Agrigento, Palermo and Lipari
Sicily and the Aeolian Islands will be led Dr. Estelle Lazer, an archaeologist who has worked on Pompeii for nearly a decade and has an international reputation for her research. Lazer is also a university lecturer and has led numerous tours in Sicily.
Savvy traveler-focused itineraries, inclusions and amenities
Always on the Academy Travel’s itineraries are in-depth background talks and pre-visit briefings, and often, private viewings and exclusive access to historic and cultural sites. Originally affiliated with a university, the company continues to organize school, university and arts association expeditions, in addition to their acclaimed individual tours in Italy and around the world. Travelers who have experienced Academy Travel tours return year after year.
More for culture vultures in Italy:
Your travels: let me know about your favorite tour company and I’ll try to feature it
A cultural tour curator, Karen Misuraca is a travel writer and the author of several guidebooks, including Backroads of the California Wine Country; Backroads of the California Coast, and Fun with the Family Northern California. Check out Karen's newly updated iPhone app, California Coast North.